Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 
Binder Park Zoo is now one of my favorite places. David, Harrison, Grant and I went about a week and a half ago. If it wasn't so far away (an hour and a half) I think I would go at least every week. It was a little people-crowded, and it really didn't have very many animals but it is all set like you are just taking a hike through the woods. It really didn't seem very zoo-ish to me. We saw a huge 150 yr old sea turtle (?) Well, I think it was a sea turtle... it was underwater in this little tank only about 3x bigger than the actual guy. This got me thinking... he CAN'T be used to being in a little tank with barely any room to move. .. I mean unless they have had him since he was born which would have been around 1855 !!!!! And if they haven't had him in captivity since then (which I highly doubt) How do they know how old he is?? Where did they find him?? and how did they decide... "Oh yeah, this will definitely make a great zoo exhibit!"



In other news. Harrison had the great misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when this giant Elephant charged through a building wall.... he was nice enough to stop and allow us to take some pictures though. (I love Harrison's expression)


Grant has apparently conquered his fear of tiny baby goats, as he wouldn't leave this miniature of a miniature alone and doted it for nearly 20 minutes. When mom was up here a few weeks ago in GR she took Grant to the petting zoo and it was the first time he didn't completely freak out! Now he is a goat tamer with unnatural abilities and persuasive techniques he can actually get the goat to come right up to him and eat food right from his hand (UNHEARD OF!)


In a related story we found the vast majority of the masses huddled around a high netted balcony. For just $5 children and adults alike could feed 6 cracker things to the eager long-necked giraffes. We jumped right in and had the unique opportunity to feel a slimy giraffe tongue drool all over our hands. (It was almost as much fun and when the stingrays vaccuum sucked our hands to get at the yummy dead fish heads!)

I tried to get a great shot here, but I think I was already elbowing and pushing a few tots out of the way jut to get mediocre ones.


The zoo day ended with Grant and Harrison coaxing a wandering peacock to eat a pretzel from their hands, until a few over-excited boys ran up and scared the poor peacock off... then we rode the tram back and settled cozily into our car. .... it was fun.

Comments:
I love my picture!
 
I wish I could have shared the moment. I watch the video of Grant at the petting zoo a lot. I haven't figured out how to send it to you. We'll apparently have hours and hours of free time this week to try to send it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?