Thursday, December 06, 2007

 










So, I have a long(ish) story about my little boy and Santa.
I've always been kinda nonchalant about the whole Santa thing, not really drilling in that he wasn't real, but I have always told him the truth about Santa whenever he asks questions like, "How does Santa break into your house" and things of that sort. I tell him that Santa is not real, but that it is fun to pretend sometimes just for fun. Then I tell him about how we got Santa and so on and so on. SO I figured that by now he would kinda have the gist of the whole thing.
The other day it dawned on me that Christmas was coming up and that he is now old enough that he is around other kids w/o me (like at Sunday School and Cubbies) The thought flashed through my mind of my boy being the one who ruined Christmas for the whole church by telling all the little kids about Santa being pretend.. SO I went and sat Grant down to explain to him how important it is that he keeps this a secret. .. this is how it went.

Me: "Hey Grant, you know how we talk about Santa not being real?"
Grant: "Um, no mom, Santa is real"
Me: "No, Santa is pretend... don't you remember how we talked about that? I always tell you that it's pretend"
Grant: "Santa is really not pretend. He is real, mom!"
Me: (starting to get a little frustrated now since my original intentions way off this course) "Grant, I wouldn't lie to you okay!? You remember me telling you how Santa came from this real man who lived a long time ago and did those really nice things for the boys and girls in his town and how now we just pretend like Santa is real to have fun?"
Grant: (blank stare)
Me: "Hmm, Grant, do you just want me to pretend like Santa IS real this year?"
Grant: "YES MOM! I REALLY REALLY want that"
Me: (sigh) "Alright! I'll do my best"

SOOOO, the last few years not wanting to start this whole Santa cover up and the sneaking around and stuff has come to an end. I tried, I really did.. but I guess I was overruled this year.
I might have still fought back a tiny bit, but Grant did this all on his own today.





I'll translate a little for you all, but you're going to have to figure out the rest

Deer Santa
Ol I want is Funkes
Laago star wors
Rub N Culr

Grant


I thought it was pretty good for a brand new 4 yr old!


So I put in an order on-line today.
2 of them I was actually kinda against getting just because I think they are silly, but after I promised to pretend there was a real Santa this year, I KNEW that even though I thought they were retarded gifts, I had to keep the charade going and buy the Funkeys and Rub N Color. (yes, you do sense some resentment there) I do think the letter is adorable though. It's the first time he has written more than a word or two down in one sitting, and I'll keep it forever !


Editing in a little here:
Tonight we turned some Christmas music on the radio and Grant heard a song that suggested that he'd "better be good" and that he'd "better not pout" cause the omnipotent Santa knows all! He kept asking me through the song if he had to be really good so Santa would bring him Funkeys and Star Wars. Mwa Ha Ha... I think I might like this whole Santa thing afterall.

Comments:
That is such a Cute Story

Dad
 
He is amazing. What a smart kid you are raising. He must have gotten it from his grammy. ;)
 
His writing is awesome. He is where Michas is and she is a whole year older!! Great job Grant!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?